Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable (fwd)

I didn't realize this person asked this off list, so I am forwarding
my reply onto the list, it has information in it that someone should
use to write a FAQ/FSA, this issue has come up some many times over
the years that I am getting sick of reading it every time memory
generations change.

Basic rule, Don't ever expect to be able to drive more than 72 DRAM
chips with anything in the PC world, period.  You have to do bus
buffering using balanced drivers and real clean layout work on the PC Board,
and there ain't a PC maker out there who is going to bother with
this unless they are supporting 8 sockets or more in high dollar
server machines.

----- Forwarded message (env-from rgrimes) -----