Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:53:01 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>
To:        abial@nask.pl
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Working examples of dialin server

Forwarded from a friend because I'm not on -isp :)

>>I'd like to add the third pre-canned configuration: dialin server. I'd
>>like it to cover the most common case (which is...?), using the most
>>common solutions (which are...?), with hooks to add the less common but
>>important features (which are....?). :-))

Okay.
Firstly - been there, done this.. but slightly differently :)

>>* I need answers for the above questions: what is the most common case of
>>  a small, beginning ISP? What hardware and software configuration would
>>  be most appropriate here? (I know this is highly relative, but some
>>  opinions would help me to decide what configuration to support
>>  out-of-the-box)
>>* which way should I go: include ijppp or kernel PPP by default? Include
>>  support for SLIP?

I personally use kernel ppp.
I've found that when running lots of ppp sessions (say, 192?) .. kernel ppp
seems a lot more processor-friendly and RAM-friendly than iijppp.

>>* should I leave getty by default or use mgetty instead?

I use mgetty, however getty AFAIK will work.
Danny O'Connor (?)'s pppkit has a modified getty that supports PAP.

>>* should I include gated instead of routed by default?

Yes.
GateD is nice.
I've found the OSPF and BGP support makes it nicer to interoperate with
other equipemnt and pull peverted things off with (like ISDNs hooked up to
stallion cards running BGP over..)

Some term servers (annexes?) Don't talk OSPF, so RIP is used there.. and gated
does it too nicely.

>>* should I include support for multiport comm cards (which ones?), or
>>  leave it as optional?

Well, You'd have to have support for some of them.
Although if people are compiling their own kernels, they can simply add in
what card they need.

>>* Hmmm.. suport for RADIUS and/or TACACS+ (is there any?)

I've taken a publicly avaliable pppd/radius implementation called portslave,
FreeBSDized it (the joys of linux specific code..) and improvied it to support
in/out byte accounting, Framed-IP-Address and Framed-Route tags both on normal
UNIX logins, and PAP logins. It has its own getty replacement that knows about
radius too..

>>* and many, many more issues, which I'm probably unaware of at the
>>  moment... :-))
>>
>>For those of small faith :-)  - probably _all_ of the above I could fit on
>>the floppy together, but I'd rather make the best use of space on it and
>>not include things which are rarely used.

It does fit .. just.
Well, it did last time I tried.. it was over a year ago.

I'm avalible next week to spend a few days with PicoBSD and make it terminal
server ready.

Anyone else got any comments?

Adrian