Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:06:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup frequency?

Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, John Polstra wrote:
>
>> You must have hit a week when many MB of files were imported.  I
>> usually update about once a week here, and it still takes only about
>> 1.5 minutes -- the same as if I update twice in quick succession.
> Nope very bussy and slow pipe on this end...I could use a 64K line but
> only have 5K Link at the moment..

But it doesn't depend on the speed of the link.  (Mine is only 56
kbit, or about 5-6 kbytes / second.)  The CVSup protocol is dominated
by two streams of traffic.  The first stream is the listing describing
which versions of files the client currently has.  That flows from
client -> server.  The second stream contains the updates themselves.
They flow from server -> client.  These two streams overlap in time,
and also I'm oversimplifying somewhat.  A more detailed description
can be found here:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/howsofast.html

Anyway, the file listing (first stream) must be sent in full each time
you run CVSup.  Every update (second stream) is sent only once, no
matter how often you run CVSup.  From this it should be clear that
unnecessary CVSup runs simply waste time and network traffic.  And
that is what I've observed in practice.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong