Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:11:25 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        "Žoršur Ivarsson" <totii@est.is>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

Žoršur Ivarsson wrote:

> Petri Helenius wrote:
> > Yes. I've been looking at the TV-out cards but haven't decided on any
> > of them yet. However since my TV has RGB input, would anyone know if
> > XFree can be tuned to small enough resolution with interlacing to be
> > displayed on the TV?
>
> As far I know the scan frequency of all cards exept (good old) cga card
> are lot to high above that most TV sets can handle

The TV-out cards usually have a mode that puts out 640x480 at 60Hz,
and modern TVs seem to handle that fine.  Some also have an option
to put the TV signal out at 800x600 at 60Hz, which the big (~35 inch)
TVs can often handle too.

All the systems I've tried using this have been Win95 systems,
(no - can't put FreeBSD on them... ;-)
so I don't know for sure that it will work with XFree, but given that
it'll work with a 640x480 screen (with the appropriate settings), it
should be possible...

Gary