Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 99 08:56:48 -0400
From:      "A. Ling" <aling@alum.mit.edu>
To:        "Oliver Fromme" <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FTP SNAP site finder (was: 3.1-RELEASE: discrepancies....)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:21:30 +0100 (CET), Oliver Fromme wrote
about "Re: 3.1-RELEASE: discrepancies between "sysinstall" and
"make world" results":
>Jose M. Alcaide wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
> > Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, these reports are too late.  Why didn't you test
> > > *before* 3.1 was released?
> >
> > The answer is simple: I cannot install snapshots because the links
> > to the sites that store them is _very_ slow from my University.
>
>Did you try the "FreeBSD Snap Finder" at the following URL?
>It is very useful.
>http://www.itworks.com.au/~gavin/FBSDsites.php3

   This seems to be a great resource which I hadn't heard about.  But I
am curious why it only seems to list non-USA sites.  Admittedly, it
says "Warning: database is currently being updated." -- perhaps this
is the reason.  If USA sites are excluded by policy, does anyone
know if such a service exists for North American sites?  I thought not
all (USA) sites carry all available SNAPs, CTM deltas, ports, etc.
BTW, is there a recommended way short of trial & error to find out
which site has the best performance (highest transfer rate & least
traffic)?