Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

> > The package mechanism went to great pains to allow other locations than
> > /usr/local for this stuff, fixing that location in an /etc file would
> > be counter productive to this effort.
> >
> > I can install all (or almost all) of the packages in /opt if I so choose
> > to.
>
> Ok, the use /opt/etc :-)
>
> Seriously, what I'd suggest is that a knob be added to /etc/sysconfig
> such as
>
> packages_startup= /usr/local/etc
>
> and then the package installation code honour that flag and use it to
> place their startup files. We just need one hook in /etc then that calls
> something in packages_startup. If Satoshi thinks up a simple registration
> system, such as just adding a line to packages_startup/startme, then
> this will all work with little effort and we avoid lots of little files
> getting added to /etc for each installed package.

Now that I can live with, infact that is the best solution I have seen
to this problem yet!

> Installing a package is then a process of, checking /etc/sysconfig to
> see where package startup files go, installing them there and doing
> any other mess with startup files there instead of /etc.

Maybe even make that slightly more global:
/etc/sysconfig: package_root= /usr/local

Then pkg_install has a better place to pick up the default for all
of its work.  And saves those who use something other than /usr/local
a few command line arguments.