Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Yuri Poeluev <ypoeluev@certicom.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/12964 Outoging data stream sockets on FreeBSD

The following reply was made to PR i386/12964; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yuri Poeluev <ypoeluev@certicom.com>
To: adrian@freebsd.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:42:33 -0400

 --------------64BFA819B7F47C6131D8295A

 Hi Adrian,

 Thanks for your reply. I have found a solution.
 Apparently, stream sockets do not guarantee
 that a packet at the application level will be
 delivered in one piece. It was wrong for
 me to say that I was losing data, that wasn't the case.
 The application-sender was sending a
 packet of 150 bytes, for instance,
 first time the application-receiver got 100 bytes and
 second time it got the rest 50 bytes. Anyway, my impression
 of stream sockets was that if an application sends a packet,
 an application-receiver would get the same
 packet or bigger one if more data is available
 from UDP. I guess, I was wrong to assume
 that stream sockets will not break the
 packets at the application level. But,
 it's still interesting that only on FreeBSD stream
 sockets break packets (101-207-byte long)
 into two. In my case, I'd rather use packet
 oriented sockets (datagram), that guarantees
 packets delivery with possible loss of packets though.
 Some people were saying that you can send a
 delimiter (CR) to separate packets inside
 the data stream, but if an application
 sends binary data this is not a good choice of course.
 It seems that an application cannot have
 reliable and packet oriented protocol at the
 same time.

 Sorry for taking your time.
 Please, close this PR.

 Thanks,
 Yuri Poeluev
 Certicom Corp.

 --------------64BFA819B7F47C6131D8295A

 begin:vcard
 n:Poeluev;Yuri
 x-mozilla-html:FALSE
 org:Certicom Corp
 adr:;;200 Matheson Blvd. W.;Mississauga;ON;L5R 3L7;Canada
 version:2.1
 email;internet:ypoeluev@certicom.com
 note:Web site: http://www.certicom.com
 x-mozilla-cpt:;0