Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 20:28:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current kernel is *very* unusable

> I just updated my laptop to -current so I could start playing with the
> PC-Card stuff, and it's basically un-usable.
>
> I'm getting complete hangs, reboots with no core dumps, and I can't even
> get into DDB.  The box ran 2.0.5 until 2 days ago, and was able to do a
> make world w/out rebooting, so I suspect it's the new code.  I'd back up
> to an older version of -current, but I'm not even sure which time is a
> good time to bring it to.

I'm seeing much of the same here, the matcd driver hangs solid on the
first couble of reads, i get "strange" looking files when checking
out of cvs (ie files with single to multiple chars changed).
All in all I'd say -current is totally screwed at this point in time :(
I also have seen the dreaded keyboard hang in syscons (so now I
have the opportunity to fix it :) )
I get core dunps all over the place if I stress the system a little,
ie a cvs update will produce multiple coredumps if I start a Xsession
on another vty. It seems we have some really bad stuff in there
somewhere. I've checked on my old system from about 28 september, and
it doesn't have the above problems, even the atapi driver works there ;(

> In any case, I can't even provide anyone with a backtrace or other help
> since I can't even get into the debuuger and apparently panic isn't
> being called before it reboots.

Same here...

> What can I do to help out?

Hmm, I'll ask the same question (and go fix syscons & the atapi stuff :) )

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.