Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:43:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how do I see pty usage at any given time ?

I am trying to debug a problem where I am running out of PTYs when I try
to start new `screen` windows.

I am not sure how many ptys I actually have available to the system - I
have 256 /dev devices, and I have a maxusers of 128, but some other
settings may be causing me to have fewer than 128.

So, it would really help me in troubleshooting if there were some way to
just see how many ptys are actually available - AND how many are in use.
^^^^^

That way, when I get that error message, I can know whether I just hit 32
out of 32 ptys or 128 out of 128 ptys or whatever.

thanks!