Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 1995 19:23:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Speed increase at CTM src-cur 304?

>> with some of the normal things that I do. Am I imagining things after a
>> particularly foul weekend (where everything seems better at work) or will the
>> culprit put his/her hand up?
>
>I guess you're not reading commit mail ?
>If you are running -current you should read that.
>
>I'll leave it to David to decide if he will actually tell you what they did :-)

   Attached is the CVS log message from the most significant of the recent
VM system changes.

-DG

date: 1995/02/02 09:08:00;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +126 -119
swap_pager.c:
Fixed long standing bug in freeing swap space during object collapses.
Fixed 'out of space' messages from printing out too often.
Modified to use new kmem_malloc() calling convention.
Implemented an additional stat in the swap pager struct to count the
amount of space allocated to that pager. This may be removed at some
point in the future.
Minimized unnecessary wakeups.

vm_fault.c:
Don't try to collect fault stats on 'swapped' processes - there aren't
any upages to store the stats in.
Changed read-ahead policy (again!).

vm_glue.c:
Be sure to gain a reference to the process's map before swapping.
Be sure to lose it when done.

kern_malloc.c:
Added the ability to specify if allocations are at interrupt time or
are 'safe'; this affects what types of pages can be allocated.

vm_map.c:
Fixed a variety of map lock problems; there's still a lurking bug that
will eventually bite.

vm_object.c:
Explicitly initialize the object fields rather than bzeroing the struct.
Eliminated the 'rcollapse' code and folded it's functionality into the
"real" collapse routine.
Moved an object_unlock() so that the backing_object is protected in
the qcollapse routine.
Make sure nobody fools with the backing_object when we're destroying it.
Added some diagnostic code which can be called from the debugger that
looks through all the internal objects and makes certain that they
all belong to someone.

vm_page.c:
Fixed a rather serious logic bug that would result in random system
crashes. Changed pagedaemon wakeup policy (again!).

vm_pageout.c:
Removed unnecessary page rotations on the inactive queue.
Changed the number of pages to explicitly free to just free_reserved
level.

Submitted by:   John Dyson