Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:44:08 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing server platforms

> I can see that just moving /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow over
> isn't going to work.  In fact, I can see that FBSD doesn't even
> have an /etc/shadow,

/etc/master.passwd is what you are looking for. The text format
maybe slightly different so examine the file formats. If you are
using DES encryption all you should have to do is a little awk
script to reformat the file. Run pwd_mkdb afterwards like vipw
would do (or even just vipw, save changes, quit, and let it
start pwd_mkdb for you). If you want md5 passwords, you're going
to have to crack though (or sniff POP3/whatever).