Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:32:41 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure gateway to intranet

According to Crist J. Clark:
> Hmmm... Is there a reason not to just let ssh take care of this for
> you? That is, have the hosts on the other end only accept certain
> users?

Yes, port forwarding. You have no way to control if a user use port forwarding
or not. For incoming connections it is easy to block because you can compile
sshd with it port fwd but for outgoing, it is more difficult. One can always
recompile a ssh with port fwd...

And while port fwd is great (I use it every day for CVSup for example), it can
be really abused...
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #74: Thu Sep  9 00:20:51 CEST 1999