Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:06:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        "barry (b.l.) friedman" <friedman@bnr.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Install / Observations & Gripes

On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, barry (b.l.) friedman wrote:

> So I'm left with the following headscratchers:
>
> 1)  What the heck is the second cd-rom (live filesystem) supposed to be
> used for. (Couldn't find anything on that at all, neither in the
> little guide or in the docs.)

I use it for several reasons:

1)	I don't have room on my HD to keep the entire source tree, so I
just use symlinks to the live filesystem CD-ROM.

rm -rf /usr/src
mkdir /usr/src
<insert disk #2 and mount under /cdrom>
lndir /cdrom/usr/src /usr/src

2)	In case something gets messed up, I have a backup on the CD-ROM.
e.g. if I munge around with /etc/rc* and "Oops!  I forgot to make a
backup"... just retrieve the original from the cd-rom.

3)	I'm sure there are many other uses which I can't think of at the
moment.

> 2)  How do I mount a DOS disk if this is possible?  The mount_msdos man page
> informs that it doesn't work with post dos 3.3 filesystems and in
> any case it didn't like any of the /dev files I tried.  The FAQ only refers
> to DOS extended partitions, what about a DOS-only disk.

Actually, it does work with post-3.3 DOS systems (even Windows 95).  I
recommend that you run chkdsk or scandisk whenever you boot back into
DOS, after MAKING CHANGES IN FREEBSD (i.e. deleting/copying/renaming/etc.
files on the dos partition).

This command mounts partition #1 on SCSI disk 0 to the directory /dos:

mount -t msdos -o ro /dev/sd0s1 /dos
(-o rw if you want it read-write)

(for part. #2 on IDE disk 0, use /dev/wd0s2, etc.)

> 3)  How can I get the boot floppy to automatically boot my wd1(1,a)/kernel
> without having to type it in every time?  (I'm still not brave enough, nor
> do I see how to install the boot manager without re-doing the entire install.)

Use "booteasy" (it comes on Cd-ROM #1, in the \tools (or \utils, I forget
which) directory.  This is a DOS-mode program, so run it from DOS.

> 4)  I hesitate to mention this but I haven't had any luck getting X11
> running yet.  I have an ATI SVGAWONDER-XL card and a mumble bus mouse which
> doesn't get recognized although the probe finds it even though it appears
> at a non standard place.  Worse luck is that I don't have any docs on the
> SAMTRON monitor I've got and not a clue to the vert refresh rates -- Oh, well.
> X comes up in B/W with the pointer frozen in the lower right of the the screen.
> Maybe a pointer to the XF86 docs would be in order?

Check the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/modeDB.txt, for "generic" card and
monitor definitions that should work for you.  The SuperProbe command
will tell you (if it knows about it) what kind of video card you have.
The mono X server should definitely work for you (if it doesn't, that's a
real surprise) and I honestly thing you'll get the 256-color SVGA to work
too.  IF your chip is supported, you might even have a HighColor or
TrueColor driver.

As to the mouse problem, Use the lines:

Options	"Pointer"
	Protocol "Busmouse"
	Device "/dev/mse0"

in /etc/XF86Config.  More than likely, your bus mouse is Logitech
compatible, to some extent, and if your kernel does indeed recognize it,
this is a good sign.

Good luck and happy hacking, and feel free to contact me and/or the list
if you have any further questions or problems.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **