Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:56:54 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: USB keyboard problems

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:55:26PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2004 11:29 pm, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message: <20040828025829.GA51618@prophecy.dyndns.org>
> >
> >             Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net> writes:
> > : On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 22:41:32 EDT, M. Warner Losh scribbled these
> > :
> > : curious markings:
> > : > I guess it all depends on what you mean by recently.  I'd thought t=
hat
> > : > some of my recent changes had broken it, but the breakage goes back
> > : > further than that.  5.2 release isn't 'recent', and I fully believe
> > : > that things may have changed since then...  I see a major uhid upgr=
ade
> > : > in that time frame, which may be the time of breakage...
> > :
> > : I understand your point, but that doesn't sit well with the fact that=
 my
> > : joypad broke *after* I updated from 5.2-CURRENT of ~ August 15 to
> > : 6.0-CURRENT of ~ August 19. Logically, if it had been busted by the u=
hid
> > : upgrade in March, then it could not possibly have worked with 5.2-CUR=
RENT
> > : (which it did, just as well as it did with 5.2.1-RELEASE[1]), correct?
> > :
> > : [1] Better, in fact, as the device wasn't detected at boot time in 5.=
2.1
> > : but was in 5.2-CURRENT.
> >
> > Then I'm very confused...  Time to dig deeper...
>=20
> Alfred turned the atkbd probing off a while back:
>=20
> alfred      2004/04/01 13:48:31 PST
>=20
>   FreeBSD src repository
>=20
>   Modified files:
>     sys/i386/conf        GENERIC.hints
>   Log:
>   Fix booting with ps2 keyboards.
>=20
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.13      +0 -1      src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints
>=20
> This didn't actually affect booting with a PS/2 keyboard, but only meant =
that=20
> you could boot up without a PS/2 keyboard and then plug it in, at the cos=
t of=20
> breaking all uses of USB keyboards unless you use explicit kbdcontrol=20
> commands.  The instant-MFC was backed out of RELENG_4 at the request of r=
e@=20
> due to POLA.

The following entries in my devd.conf make things much happier on my
laptop.  Maybe we should commit something like this to the default file:

# When a keyboard arrives, attach it as the console keyboard
attach 100 {
	device-name "ukbd0";
	action "test -c /dev/kbd1 && kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console";
}
detach 100 {
	device-name "ukbd0";
	action "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/console";
}

It has the slightly weird effect that the built in keyboard stops
working for console when you plug a USB keyboard in, but IMO that's less
lame then the current setup.

-- Brooks

--=20

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY