Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 21:28:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        vvv@radio.stack.net (Victor Voronkov)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI, HDD problem

Victor Voronkov wrote...
> We have FreeBSD 3.1 Release, installed on the computer with Super Micro
> (6BDU, AIC-7890). 4xIBM DDRS-34560D DC1B at 80.0MB/s transfers.
>
> Time to time, httpd do not answer on any request.
> A few httpd daemon have status "D" on the "ps xa" command.
> I can not kill these processes.
>
> Some time ago we have no such problem.
>
> I understand that we need update to 3.3, but interesting
> to listen any comments, anyway.

Actually, you probably want to upgrade to 3.3-STABLE.  You can use one of
the snapshots from:

ftp://current.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386

There is a bug in the 7890 that Justin worked around shortly after 3.3 came
out.  That's why it is best to get one of the latest snapshots.

> Sorry for the long message. TNX in advance.

[ ... ]

> == 0x15c
> /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): SCB 0
> /kernel: xad - timed out in message in phase, SEQADDR == 0x15c
> /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): SCB 0xc4 - timed out in message in phase, SEQADDR
> == 0x15c
>
> /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): SCB 0x9e - timed out in message in phase, SEQADDR
> == 0x15c
> /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): SCB 0xba - timed out in mess
> /kernel: age in phase, SEQADDR == 0x15c

This is either a cabling/termination problem, or it could also be a result
of a bug in the 7890 I mentioned above.  I think that bug was most often
accompanied by some data corruption, and only happened under high load.

I would suggest checking that your bus is properly terminated, that you're
using the right "twisty" LVD cables with terminators on the end, that you
don't have bent pins, etc.  Also, make sure that your SCSI cables don't run
close to your power supply.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry