Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:39:21 -0700
From:      =?unknown-8bit?Q?S=EAr=EAciya_Kurdistan=EE?= <sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        jez.hancock@munk.nu
Subject:   Re: Serial line fbsd installation with no CD

Hello,

> I have two colocated servers in the US and I'm in the UK.  I need to install
> FreeBSD 4.8 from scratch across a serial connection that exists between the
> two servers.

  Two questions:

  1) do you already have the serial connection set up between the two servers?
     (if not, i'm attaching an example ppp config below)

  2) do you have a floppy drive on the server that you want to do the install
     on?

> The current OS are FreeBSD 4.6.2 and as such I am unable to
> adequately make world to the latest STABLE release.

  Please explain.  The connection is set up?  What are you using?  NFS?

> Further I do not have the option of installing from a CDROM installed on
> the server.  Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so how did you
> resolve the problem?

  Yes.  One way to do it is to set up a ppp connection between the servers
  so that the machine you want to install on has access to the internet
  through the other server.

  Please elaborate further so that we may help you out.

| Welat xwe ava nake, dest bidin hevdu, pist nedin tu dijminî  |
|   Riya azadiyê ne hêsan e, hêviya xwe bernedin, dema me      |
|     nêzîk e.                                                 |
|                                                              |
| Hevaltî bi kesên du rû nekin, hevaltî bi hevdu ra bikin      |
|   Ne ji hevaltiya wan kesên pêxwas û rû dirêj, ne bi wan     |
|     kesên xwînperest, ne jî ji yên din.                      |
|                                                              |
|                                   -Sêrêciya Kurdistanî       |
  translation provided on request: sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx

PS
Sample ppp setup below:  thanks to "will@unfoldings.net"

Why use mpd for this? pppd(8) will do just fine. Here's a quick example, all
needed is a pppd on both ends, end for the cable to be plugged in:

#/etc/ppp/options on pc1
cuaa0		#FreeBSD: COM1 in DOS
115200
crtscts
lock
local			#Use nullmodem mode instead of modem lines
deflate		#Compression

# IP address for this end : IP address for other end
192.168.254.1:192.168.254.1
netmask 		255.255.255.255

#/etc/ppp/options on pc2
#Same as above, except
192.168.254.2:192.168.254.1

#If the other machine is Linux, cuaa0 is ttyS0.

Now just start pppd on both ends and once it syncs, you will be able to have
the machines talk IP to each other.

To start pppd automatically and have it restarted if it dies, add this to
/etc/ttys:

cuaa0	"/usr/sbin/pppd cuaa0 -detach"		unknown on

Original posting by:
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant

214 Paul Kruger Avenue, Universitas