Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:56:09 -0400
From:      "Andy Harrison" <aharrison@gmail.com>
To:        "soralx@cydem.org" <soralx@cydem.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi: 'no carrier'

On 10/14/06, soralx@cydem.org <soralx@cydem.org> wrote:

> Well, this was a quite useful how-to on configuring a working card, but
> it doesn't apply in my case :P  My adapter sees no access points at all
> (`ifconfig iwi0 list scan` returns nothing), so it can't associate no
> matter what the settings are, and ifconfig always shows it's status
> as 'no carrier'. I tried configuring an IP# & netmask and then starting
> dhclient, but observed no diefference.

I would run the wpa_supplicant in debug mode anyway, at least you'll be able
to see what it's doing while it's scanning.  It might show some useful info.

BTW, why did you need to disable the built-in NIC?

Not sure why, I just know I can't get the iwi interface to work at all if
the bfe is up.  I couldn't even get it to associate with the wap at all.
The only reason I thought to disable the bfe is because a co-worker is
running fedora on his laptop (same make/model as mine) and he couldn't get
his iwi to work until he disabled the bfe.

--
Andy Harrison