Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        support@ascend.com
Subject:   Pipeline 75 usurping other routers mac address

Hi there,
I have a Pipeline 75 here's the gory details:
Model#    p75-iubri
PN#        0700-0276-001
Serial#    8364948
System Rev    b2.p75 6.1.0

 We use 4 class c networks not including link subnets, 3 unregistered 1
public for internet access. We use the ascend pipelines strictly for
backup connections to our unregistered networks. The unregistered networks
are 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 & 192.168.3.0/24, the registered network
is 198.143.201.0/24. For the unregistered networks we use Bay AN and Bay
ARN routers, for the registered network we use a cisco 2610 connected via
one sync port to outter world/internet and ethernet port connect dirrectly
to a firewall (BSD UNIX) wich handles NAT & IP Forwarding. The default
route on the firewall/bsd unix server is the cisco router at
198.143.201.5. The trouble that Im experiancing is somehow durring periods
of NON internet/outside activity, the MAC address for the PIPELINE 75
(wich is strictly configured for the 192.168.1.0/24 network) is somehow
usurping the MAC address of the ethernet port on the cisco 2610 in the BSD
UNIX arp/routing tables.
I believe you can figure out why this is a problem. On the BSD Unix box I
am firewalling off (denying) all incoming and outgoing trafic to the
ascend pipeline in question , wich leads me to believe that its hapening
between the cisco router & the pipline, wherein the router cisco router
then tells the bsdunix box its mac address is that of the pipline. Im
using STATIC ROUTES ONLY on the cisco router , as well, im not running any
kind of rip deamons on the BSD unix box. When I unplug the ascend product
from the network this doesnt happen. The Pipeline is configured for RIP (
I need that for my unregistered networks). Thanks for your time.