Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 18:01:27 +0100
From:      "Frank ten Wolde" <franky@pinewood.nl>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Order of rules in ip_fw chain

On Dec 15,  9:39, Nate Williams wrote:
> Subject: Re: Order of rules in ip_fw chain

[ Explanation about priority based rules deleted ]

> Finally, while I agree that not allowing the filtering rules is a good
> thing, I'm of the opinion that it's much better to allow changing it
> without having to reboot the system.  I have a pretty good set of rules,
> but there are occasions when I need to open up the firewall to 'trusted'
> hosts, and I'd rather not bring down my Internet connection to do it.

I think we disagree here, or our needs differ greatly :-) I still think
it's better for safety that *if* my Bastion host is compromised (someone
evil becomes root) they still cannot flush the fw chain.  I accept
bringing down the host to single user mode for adding/deleting rules --
after *careful* consideration of the new rules.

Should we make the save-fw-chain a configuration option in the kernel?
Perhaps we must add a new level to securelevel to allow for secure fw
chains *on top of* the very secure mode (e.g., securelevel 3).  Maybe
we need to re-define securelevel to be a bit-field to enable secure mode
for independent sub-systems in the kernel?  Would this be too large a
deviation from the original 4.4BSD definition?

> Nate

-Frank

F.W. ten Wolde (PA3FMT)                       Pinewood Automation B.V.
E-mail: franky@pinewood.nl                    Kluyverweg 2a
Phone: +31-15 2682543                         2629 HT  Delft