Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:49:49 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-x11@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some help needed - keyboard does not work after recent update [addendum - workaround]

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:21:55 +0100
Milan Obuch <freebsd-x11@dino.sk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as part of my update routine I rebuild my system to recent 10-STABLE.
> After reboot X did not start. This may be caused by some not yet
> tested update in ports installed, so I looked in log files and find
> some issues with drivers. In order to clear things I rebuild some
> ports, found some help googling for hints and got display to work
> this way. Mouse works too, so I can do something to verify I did not
> screwed my system badly, but could not find a way to get keyboard
> working again.
>
> I tried to build X with minimum dependencies, also rebuilt xserver
> with no devd nor hal configure backend and did a static configuration.
> Autoconfigure did not work for me either - trying to use ati driver
> while there is Radeon HD 6290 (Wrestler) seems to not work.
>
> I create minimal 'almost working' configuration by butting module.conf
> into /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d loading just shadow, fb and
> glamoregl modules. This way startx does not complain, X is started,
> but keystrokes on keyboard seems to be ignored.
>
> Xorg.0.log is pasted as http://paste2.org/vmjxhYmX
> it was with no conf backend in xserver, however devd backend does not
> changed much.
>
> Are there any flags i can try? I did search for ideas, tried them, but
> nothing helped.
>
> Regards,
> Milan

I found a bit cumbersome workaround. Putting

hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"

into /boot/device.hints disables kbdmux. Then I can boot FreeBSD with
my keyboard connected in PS/2 port, login after system is up and issue
startxfce command. Then I have to unplug my keyboard from PS/2 port on
motherboard and plug it into keyboard port of dual PS/2->USB adapter
for both mouse and keyboard and work normally. I tried after exiting
XFCE to use keyboard again, and guess what? I need to plug it into PS/2
port of my motherboard.

There is a problem with it, I have no working display after leaving X,
so I can only blind type. If that worked, and I could use both X and
console port, that would be nice.

Just for completeness,

# cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/module.conf

Section "Module"
	Load	"shadow"
	Load	"fb"
	Load	"glamoregl"
EndSection

is my full configuration right now, and this

xf86-input-keyboard-1.9.0_1    X.Org keyboard input driver
xf86-input-mouse-1.9.2_1       X.Org mouse input driver
xf86-video-ati-7.8.0_1,1       X.Org ati display driver
xorg-server-1.18.4,1           X.Org X server and related programs

is part of my currently installed ports (I think the most important
related to this problem).

Regards,
Milan