Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 06:16:20 -0600
From:      David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        <doug@safeport.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot ManagerQuestions

On Friday 29 December 2000 15:46, doug@safeport.com wrote:
> I hit issues here because I have a couple of old Dell LM laptops that
> make find work stations (at least through KDE 1.9).
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Sometimes sysinstall leaves without (re)writing the MBR. The fix
>    as pointed out to me on this list by Steve Coles is "fdisk /mbr".
> This (fdisk) is such dirt dumb code it would seem nothing too serious
> is broken here. Is this worth fixing?
>
> 2) I have a new system that came no OS but had some diagonistics on a
>    small DOS partition. I thought it would be cool to leave them
> there so I left the utility partition and divided the disk up as
> follows:
>
>            10Mb - utility partition
>             5G  - FreeBSD
>           ~16G  - win98
>
>    As it came from the factory, the first partition was listed (by
>    sysinstall) as unknown. I installed FreeBSD and then windows.
> After doing windows I had to do the fdisk bit. At the end of this I
> had:
>
>      F1 = DOS (the utilities)
>      F2 = FreeBSD
>      F3 = Windows 98
>
>    I messed up on the sizes so I did it again. This time through,
>    sysinstall said "You only get one FAT" (my wording) and marked the
>    3rd partition as unknown.
>
>    How come you only get one fat? Multiple DOS partitions obviously
> work in general.
>
>    Does anyone know the MS/IBM approved codes for the various types
>
>        6 = DOS FAT16
>        ? = DOS FAT32
>      165 = FreeBSD
>        ? = others
>
>     Would sysinstall let me have a FAT16 and a FAT32?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts and/orpointers
>
>  _____
> Douglas Denault
> doug@safeport.com
> Voice: 301-469-8766
>   Fax: 301-469-0601

List of partition types from Linux fdisk:

Command (m for help): Partition number (1-10): Hex code (type L to list
codes):
 0  Empty            a  OS/2 Boot Manag 65  Novell Netware  a6  OpenBSD
 1  DOS 12-bit FAT   b  Win95 FAT32     75  PC/IX           a7  NEXTSTEP
 2  XENIX root       c  Win95 FAT32 (LB 80  Old MINIX       b7  BSDI fs
 3  XENIX usr        e  Win95 FAT16 (LB 81  Linux/MINIX     b8  BSDI
swap
 4  DOS 16-bit <32M  f  Win95 Extended  82  Linux swap      c7  Syrinx
 5  Extended        40  Venix 80286     83  Linux native    db  CP/M
 6  DOS 16-bit >=32 51  Novell?         85  Linux extended  e1  DOS
access
 7  OS/2 HPFS       52  Microport       93  Amoeba          e3  DOS R/O
 8  AIX             63  GNU HURD        94  Amoeba BBT      f2  DOS
secondary
 9  AIX bootable    64  Novell Netware  a5  BSD/386         ff  BBT

The codes for BSDI are not current.  BSDI-4.1 uses (IIRC) 9e.

Dave