Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:35:20 +0930
From:      Indexer <indexer@internode.on.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISC-DHCP6 does not send replies

>=20
> It's different, yes.  That could be due to running DHCP6 -- after all,
> the daemon has to have some way of receiving all the DHCP traffic to =
the
> various site- and link- local addresses.  You can test that by turning
> off dhcpd and checking the routing table with it not running.  If the
> route doesn't disappear, try disabling dhcpd in /etc/rc.conf, =
rebooting
> and then see if that route is still present.  Either way, re-enable
> dhcpd in rc.conf and re-start the daemon: if the route appears then =
it's
> required by dhcpd and everything looks to be in order.

I removed this route, and it did not reappear when i restarted the DHCP6 =
server. It also did not affect the situation, i still get no leases.

> Ah.  Yes, this might cause you problems.  Possibly.  If Internode =
DHCP6
> has been configured as authoritative for your address range and if the
> query packets from your client can reach Internode's DHCP6 server then
> you probably will have trouble.  I shouldn't think its likely though =
--
> your client's DHCP6 initial queries will be to find a server on the =
same
> network segment, and to reach the Internode servers it would have to =
hop
> through your gateway machine, which is your DHCP6 server anyhow.

Well, it seems that the packets are all being sent to my gateway, not =
internode.

>=20
> If your network prefix is dynamically assigned, then I don't think =
there
> is a way to have a DHCP6 server be a DHCP6 client as well, and pass on
> the prefixes it has obtained dynamically.  BICBW.  If your ISPs policy
> is actually to assign you a particular prefix permanently rather than
> give you one out of some dynamically assigned pool, then it's worth a
> try using a static configuration on your gateway machine -- I believe
> you said this was a test setup to see if it could be rolled out on a
> customer network?  Should be fine to try static configuration like =
that
> for a limited time even supposing it's all dynamically assigned.

I tried, but the moment i turned off dhcp6c, i lost ipv6 connectivity, =
so no go sadly.=20

Well, now i have a server that listens properly, but when my client =
sends it solicits, it dosen't pick them up at all. might be time to =
start playing with wireshark and tcpdump I guess.=20

>=20
> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew
>=20
> --=20
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: matthew@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW
>=20