Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:01:57 +0100
From:      Marc Silver <marc.silver@uk.easynet.net>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port scanner found my SMTP / SSH is up and I didn't put them there!!!!

Hi there,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:46:25AM -0600, Grant Cooper wrote:
> I used a port scanner on my server just to check things out. I wasn't
> expecting this. Port 22 (ssh) and port (25) SMTP are up. I looked in
> /etc/inetd.conf and SMTP is comented out.

SMTP is not controlled via /etc/inetd.conf.  See /etc/rc.conf (and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf) for more information on how to disable this.  You
can also disable ssh via this method.

> I created a webmailer and sure enough, all my e-mail was recieved but
> not sent out. If this isn't a default set up i've been compramised. :(
> I don't even know how to use ssh yet. The only reason I noticed this
> is because I was setting up my firewall using IPFW.

These services usually run by default on newly installed FreeBSD
machines.  Did you specifically disable them, or is this a newly
installed machine which you've now noticed has open ports?  :)  If it's
just a new install you have nothing to worry about, since these run by
default on most installations.

- Marc

--
Marc Silver - Systems Developer