Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:27:18 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        mark.rowlands@minmail.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

On 30 Nov 00 at 6:51, Mark Rowlands wrote:

>On Wednesday 29 November 2000 23:59, Duke Normandin wrote:
>> I'm kinda like a monkey trying to copulate a football/soccer ball when it
>> comes to my new toy --- my mickey-mouse 10baseT LAN ;,)
>>
>> Anyway..... ftped my first file from win95 to 3.3R box. I'm curious about
>> the transfer rate that follows:
>>
>> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'dr703.exe'.
>> 226 Transfer complete.
>> ftp: 6243908 bytes sent in 18.40Seconds 339.34Kbytes/sec.
>>
>> Is this an acceptable transfer rate? If it's not, is there anything that I
>> can do with my existing hardware - 3c509 <CAT 5e x-over> Compaq Netflex ?
>> Would setting both to full duplex (if possible) help? Tia....
>>
>> -duke
>> Calgary,Alberta, Canada
>
>what a wonderful word picture you paint!  this seems somewhat tardy tho.

I call it like it is ;) What's tardy - the transfer rates, or my
"word picture"? ;,)

>I get 1100 kb/s from win9x -> freebsd over 10mbs with 5mb+ executables using
>the command line ftp client running in half duplex. You could try ensuring

1100 kb/s = 1.1Mbps. Unless my math is wrong, this is not great either when
10BaseT with Cat5 can do 4-10Mbps according to the books I've got here on
my desk. Of course, your rate is a heck of a lot better than mine.

>that whatever you select, both machines are set to the same settings. No
>autoselect/hardware default nonsense. I would also check you have installed

I assume you mean the NIC settings on both machines?

>the myriad of patches available for win95 and it's tcp/ip stack

My ISP's required BS software needed winsock2 - an enhanced version I
gather. I didn't realize that they might have enhanced the "enhanced".
I'll check into that as well. Thanks...

-duke
Calgary,Alberta, Canada