Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:18:08 -0500
From:      David Wagenheim <davidw@bestweb.net>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Error Messages when TRYING to install FreeBSD 3.1 Release

Hi,

When I tried to install 3.1 I ran in to some problems.  They are as
follows.

When trying to boot from the cd, I got the following message:

    0x1 lba=0xffffc1a0
    invalid format

At that point, I get the boot prompt and pressing enter gives me back
the boot prompt with a 'no kernel' message.
I don't have lba mode turned on in the bios and any other 'enhanced'
modes are also off.

When using the boot and mfs floppies, I can use the visual mode for
selecting hardware, I get prompted for the mfs
floppy, and the kernel detects all of my hardware and then I get the
following messages

    RTC BIOS diagnostic error ff<clock_battery, rom_cksum, config_unit,
memory_size, fixed_disk, invalid_time>
    changing root device to fd0c
    rootfs is 2880KB compiled in MFS

At that point, the computer freezes and get this, pushing the power
button on the computer won't turn it off!!!!!  The
computer is an Acer with I think a 'soft power' button that tries to be
more clever than a standard switch that cuts the
power when pushed.  Also, I have tested the bios for y2k capability
using the YMARK 2000 test program and everything
checked out ok.

I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2, 2.2.5, 2.2.8 many times without any
difficulty but I am stumped by this one.

Thanx in advance

David Wagenheim
Customer # 496155