Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:10:31 -0500
From:      Stephan Uphoff <ups@tree.com>
To:        Gerald Heinig <gheinig@syskonnect.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewire blues

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 11:41, Gerald Heinig wrote:
> Gerald Heinig wrote:
> > Hi Stephan,
> >
> > first off, thanks very much for your continuing help on this. It's very
> > much appreciated.
> >
> > I compiled a kernel with exactly the same options that you cited below.
> > I tried booting it and it stops before the kernel probe routines and
> > waits for the FireWire GDB connect.
> > I can't understand how you managed to reboot the target machine without
> > it entering the debugger and waiting for the remote gdb attach. My
> > machine refuses to do anything else.
> > I tried unsetting boot_ddb and boot_gdb in the loader, as well as
> > clearing the -d and -g flags in the boot_flags variable. No deal, it
> > still stops and waits for the remote gdb attach.

I did change anything at the bootstrap loader.

The tests were done 15 minutes after a complete new install (wiped the
disk) from a 5.3 CD.

You may want to take another look at you boot flags / variables.

> > When I try to attach from the debug machine, gdb complains about
> > operation not supported.
> >
> > Also, I don't understand how your command line
> >
> > kgdb -r :5555 -t 11-22-33-44-55...
>
> D'oh...
> What I meant was:
>
> kgdb -r :5555 kernel.debug
>
> <sigh>. Time to go home I suppose...
>

> > can work. I just get
> >
> > ':5555: no such file or directory'
> >
> > when I try that. The kgdb manpage also states that it needs a device

Just looked at the CVS repository.
Seems like you need to update to a newer kgdb on the debug station.
The old version does not understand tcp ports and needs devices.

If this is not an option then you can probably use some pty to tcp
forwarding program.
The debugger would connect to the pty and the forwarding program opens a
connection to dconschat and forwards data in both directions.
( Sorry -  used such a program a long, long time ago but can't remember
the name )

Stephan