Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:40:10 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:56:53 EDT, Mike Makonnen scribbled these
curious markings:
> I have thought about this considerably, and I think the best solution
> is to have ports rc.d scripts installed to /etc/rc.d. One of the problems

Please, no. This is in direct violation of hier(8), POLA, the concept of=20
separating third-party packages from the base system, and it also pollutes =
the=20
concept of a lean, clean, vendor-provided / file system. One of the
things that I love about FreeBSD is that it doesn't make a mess of the
base system like Linux does. If I wanted the mess that putting port
scripts in /etc/rc.d would cause, I'd use Linux.

=2E.. well, maybe not.

At the very least, I'd like the current way of doing things (Why does it ne=
ed=20
to be changed, anyway? The current way of doing things is quite close to=20
perfect, IMHO.) to remain a viable option. And no, littering /etc/rc.d with=
=20
symlinks is not the way to do it. If I wanted that, again, I'd go to Linux.

Well, I'm fresh out of paint.

If you'd like, you can take this message as a statement of how happy I
am with FreeBSD :-).
--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--