Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 08:13:29 -0700
From:      Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org>
To:        "mj@feral.com" <mj@feral.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-geom@freebsd.org" <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Teaching gmultipath about path cost/priority

Hi again Matt,

    I'm sure I'll eventually find a subsystem relevant to me that you *didn=
't*
    author, but for now, I have some gmultipath questions.

    Basically, the entire approach is perfect for me.  As all my SAN target=
    are JBODs (i.e. I don't have any targets that could saturate a single H=
BA
    and thus would benefit from active/active multipathing), active/passive
    is exactly what I want.

    But... in my case, all paths are not equal.  My fabric has four switche=
s=20
    and is fully meshed; a host may have up to four HBAs, each one connecte=
d=20
    to a separate switch.  From a redundancy and failover perspective, I've
    made sure there are an abundance of paths available to a single disk.

    However, unless something has failed, there's only one path I want to u=
se,
    as I've pre-planned that path to be the most optimal.

    It sounds like the order gmultipath uses to select paths is derived fro=
m=20
    the order it tastes disks -- something I have very little control over.

    It'd be ideal if there was a way of teaching gmultipath about a path
    cost/priority, so that it can make an informed decision about which
    path to choose a) when first initializing, and b) during failover.

    Thoughts?

    Regards,
   =20
        Trent.=