Date:      Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:06:53 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using Yahoo! or Google search bar instead of search.cgi

Murray Stokely wrote:

>The recent mail about not being able to find the status reports page
>points out how useless our search box is.  In this case a search for
>'status reports' will have the correct link in the third position,
>which is actually better than most queries.  There should be loads of
>'status reports' anchor text pointing to that page so more advanced
>search engines would rank it first.
>
>Is there any reason not to ditch search.cgi and move to a Yahoo!
>search bar for the site?

you know that search engines like yahoo or google index
only 1/5 - 1/2 of a typical web site?! If a problem occurs,
you have to wait until the next update - your are
offline for at least 30 days.

Search engines are always out of date and incomplete. If you
ditch search.cgi, our users will not get all information
and get only old pages (the state of the web site 30-100 days ago)

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org