Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:28:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting a Process Into Background

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Matt Rudderham wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering how to put a process that initially requires some imput, but
> then will run on its own into the background to free up the terminal. It's a
> setiathome process, as well as another similar one. Basically I'd like
> something like ^Z that will give me a shell, but let the process run and not
> stop it, preferrably to be able to use fg to bring it back to take a peek at
> it.

	You're already there.  Just start the process, enter any input
needed, ^Z it and use   bg pid  to put it in the background (Replace pid
with the pid # as I'm guessing you know).  Or ^Z, type jobs and then bg %1
or whatever job number comes up instead of 1.  Then you can use fg the
same way to put it in the fg of course.

> Also, I was wondering if it is possible to make a process run for example on
> ttyv3 when sshd in and su'd to root, basically to route the output to a
> virtual console and transfer the control of it to there. Thanks for the
> help:)

	I think Nick was referring to your second question and screen
should work for that I guess.

					Tim