Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:51:44 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@e-easy.com.au>
To:        "'Pete Fritchman'" <petef@absolutbsd.org>, "'Tillman Hodgson'" <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Ports' <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: UID conflict: Both database/firebird and net/quagga apeear to use UID 90

Howdy,

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-uid.h
tml

I requested a UID and GID (90) for firebird years ago (before
the smmsp assignment), but nothing happened. That's why the
UID/GID assignment code likes to start with 90, but will assign
the next highest UID/GID that it finds free.
If someone will give me an assigned UID/GID, that would be good.
I would then update the UID/GID assignment code to start with
this value, but still look for the next highest unassigned
UID/GID.

> If we keep all the UIDs documented there, we should'd have
> the problem of people adding a new port with a duplicate UID.
>  I'm sure there are a ton of ports that add users with UIDs
> that are _not_ documented there; we should probably fix that
> as we come across them.
>
> --pete

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
E-Easy
Tel: +61 3 6334 9995  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.e-easy.com.au