Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:54:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POP3/IMAP e-mail boxes without users

> At 22 Feb 98 18:32:18 David Vrtin wrote regarding POP3/IMAP e-mail boxes
> without users
>
>  DV> I would like to create POP3/IMAP e-mail boxes without adding
>  DV> accounts for all the users, with Cryus. I need to build to use
>  DV> some other form of authentication than /etc/passwd.
>
> You can add users to /etc/passwd without giving them a shell or a home.

But that potentially opens up other services (and possible security
holes.)  For example, what happens if someone uses one of those accounts
when logging into your FTP server?

With cyrus, the easiest solution is to tweak pwcheck to use an
auxilliary password file.  (Pwcheck comes with cyrus.  If you
aren't using it already, you may need to re-configure and rebuild
imapd to use the external verification.)

-Pat