Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:47:53 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@nomadiclab.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Different output from pkg_version

--==_Exmh_-74237873P

If memory serves me right, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@nomadiclab.com> writes:
> > [...]
> > The only solution for my problem might be to reinstall the port so that
> > this ORIGIN-entry would be created. I haven't checked the source code
> > so I'm not 100% sure but this seems right so far...
>
> Your analysis is correct. Note that bash won't work any differently if
> you reinstall it, the only difference will be that pkg_version will be
> better able to tell what version you have.

(Sorry for the late reply, I'm working through a two-week email
backlog.)

DES is correct; the newer pkg_version (which uses the ORIGIN directive)
is better able to make a determination about what's current.
"up-to-date with index" in more recent versions of pkg_version is the
equivalent of "up-to-date" in older versions (the ones that only checked
the INDEX file).

Martti, you didn't say why this was a problem for you...or was this
just simple curiosity?

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-74237873P

--==_Exmh_-74237873P--