Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:34:01 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP problems with pap.

> Hi, folks,
>
> I got a problem with ppp which is using pap. I use dynamic IP address,
> ISP supports PAP
> authentication. I can't use ppp -auto xxxx, hope someone helps me,
> thanks in advance.

You must have a "set ifaddr" line if you want to use the -auto,
-alias or -ddial modes.

> The ppp.conf of mine is:
> default:
>    set device /dev/cuaa1
>    set speed 115200
>    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
> OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>
> provider:
>    set phone 4125678
>    set login
>    set timeout 300
>    deny lqr

You may mean "disable lqr".  "Deny lqr" denies negotiations from the
peer, but still lets your side negotiate it.

In the latest version of ppp, lqr is disabled by default.

>    accept pap
>    deny chap
>    set authname MyUsername
>    set authkey    MyPassword
> ppp.linkup is
>
> ======================
> provider:
>     delete ALL
>     add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> ppp.secret is
> MyUsername        MyPassword

This isn't required.  The authname/authkey pair is sufficient to
connect using pap or chap.  ppp.secret is just for receiving dialins.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;