Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:49:55 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best x11 mua ?

On Sunday, 11 March 2001 at 16:14:51 -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> types:
>> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]

>> Kiltdown found the lines too long and wrapped like this:
>
> [removed]
>
>> I assert that it should have done it like this:

> Ok, I've got a question about that one. It would seem that the
> prohibition about mailers automatically wrapping text should apply to
> quoted text as well, for much the same reason - you could potentially
> lose information in the process.
>
> Here, you seem to be implying that kiltdown ("it") should have done just
> that. Is that really the case?

Well, there are two issues.  I see again and again the opposite
problem, the "one line per paragraph" syndrome.  That needs fixing.
And imagine a message which has grown a few more quotes:

I can't see any reason not to "fix" that to:

Should it be automatic?  If it can always Do The Right Thing, yes.  I
assert that it's impossible to always Do The Right Thing.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.