Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 16:21:38 +1000
From:      "Richard Grace" <rgrace@itworks.com.au>
To:        "David Daugherty" <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: named at boot

> Ok, let me try this again. I got it all backwards as usual. I don't know
> if I needed to have named in rc.conf. I even showd the wrong file. Argh! I
> need sleep :)
>
> Anyways, <holding eyes open> the computer hangs at "local package
> initialization" until I press Ctrl-C. Then dnetc starts up along with
> everything else. When I log in named is not running and I have to start it
> manually where it starts up just fine.
>
> my rc.conf:
> ifconfig_pn0="inet 24.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_pn1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> hostname="mydomain.net"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> named_enable="YES"
> named_program=named
> network_interfaces="pn0 pn1 lo0"
> named_enable="YES"
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="open"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="pn0"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> saver="fire"
>
> Anyone see why this is hanging?

Look in /etc/rc and see where things are going on.  If the message "local
package initialization" has been displayed, then rc is starting scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d so there may be a dud script there.  Or in the case that
your named has not started, something may be looking for name resolution.

Check your scripts thoroughly.  Put some 'echo Starting This Script' lines
in the scripts for debuging, or try disabling the local scripts and the
rc.local (put .disabled on the end of their filename or something) and
attempt to start things manually.

Make sure your network interfaces and routing are functional.  Some things
may not start if there is no network.

Richard Grace.