Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:19:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > 1.	A concern that FreeBSD tends to "bind" for brief periods when
> > 	loaded...
>
> Can this is an IDE issue?  I never saw anything like this until
> I configured an IDE mail server.  That system pauses for seconds
> sometimes, and then continues.  This is running -stable, syscons
> only (no X), no messages logged, etc.  The echo stops going to
> the display, the ethernet activity is stopped, all in all it seems
> to be locked up for three or four seconds.
>
> We have three SCSI only systems and haven't ever seen this, and
> one IDE system that pauses.

I have seen pauses on the order of a second or two on a SCSI system
with PCI + NCR controller.

Typically, there are no console messages associated, as one would
expect with timeouts (which the IDE theory implies).

When the pauses start happening, they will continue happening with
a moderate frequency.  Typing "sync" will cure the problem for a short
period of time, after which it will recurr.  Generally, I type "sync"
often enough from my V6 background that it doesn't hit me.  When it
does, it's obvious.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---