Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:22:04 -0500
From:      Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?
References:  <20110105091240.GF1850@uriah.heep.sax.de>	<20110105082509.GA57232@somecodehere.com>	<20110105132302.GG1850@uriah.heep.sax.de>	<AANLkTimw=OX3YkdTU6j02wWdFMNorpa76jKCBYW4gZ2%2B@mail.gmail.com>	<4D24D817.9050009@janh.de>	<AANLkTimPPOtwc5qE2AvP=e-wWYxaJqmfBa0T5dOuyRqT@mail.gmail.com>	<4D24E600.7040108@janh.de> <AANLkTinOb15oyur98tvLsWyt4Hh6HH9NRSwjeKp-SCa7@mail.gmail.com> <4D250357.60404@janh.de>

On 01/05/11 18:48, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> On 01/05/2011 23:04, Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>> I don't mind too much if stuff like the camera, the finger print reader
>
> Camera works fine, but not in Skype, though. Finger print reader is
> detected by sane-find-scanner, but I doubt there is a driver for it.
>
>> or the card reader does not work, as long as 3D acceleration and
>
> Card reader works, even if it is not very fast, 3D acceleration works.
>
>> suspend/resume are stable. The only other thing that would be very
>
> suspend/resume work, even though that is only possible for a few month
> now. Since then, it has never failed to resume for me, but I rarely
> use it.

When you say that it works, does it require to turn off SMP or anything
that affects performance or battery life?

>> useful to me is to be able to use the TouchPad to scroll (either using
>> the right edge or two-finger scroll). Should this work?
>
> Edge scrolling works reliably, two-finger scrolling and other
> two-finger gestures basically work for some reason unknown to me
> simply with hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" in /boot/loader.conf -- but
> they are not really usable with this setup. Probably, I would have to
> use the x.org Synaptics driver, which did not work immediately due to
> the combo track point/touchpad device as far as I remember.

ok that's good then...

>> What kind of battery life do you think I should expect using the Nvidia
>> GPU and the 6 cell battery (if the CPU load is minimal). Lenovo mentions
>> "Up to 4.8 hours of battery life", but it will be less than that
>> obviously without switchable graphics...
>
> I do not think you will get anywhere near 4.8 hours. It depends very
> much on tweaking as in http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
> , turning off wlan, lowering brightness, sending the HD to sleep, and
> so on. With just the CPU tweaking and not disabling any devices, you
> will probably not even reach 2 hours. I have never tried to optimize
> that.
>
> Cheers,
> Jan Henrik
Thanks