Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:05:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
Cc:        Chad Thunberg <chadth@atvideo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall + internal mail server

A fairly simple way would be to use a hidden dns.  Run sendmail normally
on your fbsd machine with resolv.conf entry pointed to internal (hidden)
dns server hosting MX resource record pointing to internal mail-hub host
running smtp.  MX records on external server (at ISP for example) point
to your fbsd machine.  That way the only external dns record necessary
is your mail-relay so all the good stuff is hidden from the rest of the
world.  Mail is sent to your mail-relay and then relayed on to your
internal mail-hub and you don't have to modify your sendmail setup at all.
Even better if you use a wrapper like smap.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio