Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:47:25 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Yannis Kotsinos <zookie@med.auth.gr>
Cc:        Magnus B{ckstr|m <b@etek.chalmers.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back to the future...

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:22:47AM +0200, Yannis Kotsinos stood up and spoke:
> :
> : This is because the CMOS clock runs on local time, and a newly-woken
> : kernel has no idea what timezone it's in and assumes UTC.
> :
> : Easy enough to fix though: Run
> :
> :     /sbin/adjkerntz -i
> :
> : first thing when you're in single-user, before making installworld.
> : This should initialize your timezone offset.
>
> yes, i believe this is mentioned in the UPDATING file right into
> /usr/src. All should read it before going into a build/world/kernel
> process.

Yes, it's indeed in UPDATING, but way down in the section on how to go from
3.x to 4.x. The section of the handbook that deals with making and
installing world does not mention this - I guess I may sumbit this to the
handbook, as I guess it could be a potential problem for everyone who
doesn't have his clock set to GMT...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany