Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:31:05 -0000
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>, "John Utz" <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio) SOLVED!!!

> somehow my BIOS got reset... I must have caused some sort of power surge
and
> it wiped it. I checked all settings and noted that all were as I always
had
> them, except something called "PCI Bus timer" or something like that... I
> had it set to 0 (don't remember ever chaning it though), now it was 32. I
> figure why mess with BIOS defaults that I know nothing about, so I left
it.
> I booted into FreeBSD, and just for the hell of it, I tried an mp3...
sweet
> monkey's uncle! It worked! Not a crackle, not a squeek, nothing! Pure
> crystal music!
>
> So uhm... what solved it? I guess manually resetting the BIOS... that's
> about the only thing I can think of. Maybe somehow, somwhere, over the
past
> few years I changed something that Linux accepted (or ignored the dumb
> luser), but BSD took seriously... no clue. Either way, I just wanted to
> update you all with this (short story), and thank you all for responding!
> am on my way to tweaking this box more, now that I can listen to some
pretty
> music while doing it :)

that's the default latency timer; it controls how long a card gets to hold
on to the bus each time it gains control. it can be overriden on a per card
basis which the linux driver may do- we rely on the bios to set things up
correctly.

basically your box was ripping the bus out from under the soundcard in
mid-transfer.

    -cg