Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 15:53:14 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RPC portmapper problem

    I don't recall changing anything in my setup before my previous
reboot, but my portmapper services are shot now.  'portmap' is started
up by /etc/rc before any of the other daemons, and mountd doesn't
report any problems with my /etc/exports file.  If I try to NFS mount
a filesystem from the other FreeBSD box (where everything works just
fine), I'll get:

NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

    Doing a 'showmount' gives me:

RPC: Port mapper failureCan't do Mountdump rpc

    If I kill the portmap process and restart it, I get these messages
(timestamp removed):

aries portmap[252]: svc_run: - select failed: Invalid argument
aries portmap[252]: run_svc returned unexpectedly
aries /kernel: pid 252: portmap: uid 1: exited on signal 6

    As I said, I was previously able to use NFS services between this
machine and others on the local net.  Any ideas?  This machine is
still running the 950210 snapshot with the only modification being the
ncr.c and pci.c updates for Aries chipset motherboards.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org