Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:44:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh public key authentification

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:50:52 -0600 Parker Anderson wrote:

> Have you verified the permissions of the authorized_keys file on the
> server?  If you have permissions set too loose (e.g. unneeded
> read/write permission to groups/other users), sshd may be refusing to
> trust that file.

The directory has mode 700 and the file hast 600. Restricting these any
further could result in a problem. :-)

> You may wish to give this a read (it mostly just covers those points):
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/ssh-authorized-keys.php

Ok, I did that. Now it works! :-)

The problem was not the authorized_keys file itself, it was my home
directory. This had mode 770, which seemed fine to me as it is owned
by christian:christian. Making it group-readable shouldn't pose a
security problem, as only I will be in this group. However, sshd didn't
see it that way, it seems. Now that I changed it to 750, all is
fine. :-)

Thanks für your help!

Good night!
Chris