Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 95 11:30:03 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more ETXTBSY bugs

> >All this may be old behaviour.  There is certainly some new behaviour:
> >The ETXTBUSY bit didn't go away while I was running `make' in the
> >background for 10-20 minutes.  Perhaps the vnode and associated buffers
> >didn't go away either, and clog up the caches.
>
>    There are a lot more cached objects than before (several thousand on a
> machine with a lot of memory). You'd have to access several thousand
> previously unaccessed files before you'd flush out the one that is VTEXT.

There is an intentionally restrictive buffer cache limit of 10% of
available memory in some modern systems because of this problem.  Is
this a good or a bad idea?

A lot of what is "common knowledge about VM" is no longer applicable
with a unified cache, so this limit might not be as good an idea as
it seems to be.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---