Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2017 08:16:15 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Nagy_L=c3=a1szl=c3=b3_Zsolt?= <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [SOLVED] Re: TCP connection stalled

>  > The internet connection has download speed 500Mbps and upload speed =
30Mbps.

> Lucky you :)  Is that via PPPoE or what protocol? (may matter re mtu)
It is a cable modem, not using PPPoE. But I'm not sure about the correct
MTU.

>  > Internet is connected via a public IPv4 address as shown below (real=
 ip
>  > hidden with 'x' chars)
>  >=20
>  > nfe0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 =
mtu 1500
>  > options=3Dc219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TS=
O4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
>  >         ether 40:61:86:ed:e6:41
>  >         inet 37.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 255.255.255=
=2E255

> That seems a strange broadcast address with that IP and netmask?  Never=
=20
> mind, perhaps that's different on FreeBSD 11?
I guess it was given by the DHCP server of the ISP, they hopefully have
a good reason for using a 9 bit wide subnet. :-)

> Likely due to ipfw(8) /BUGS, near the end (applies to natd too)
>
>      Due to the architecture of libalias(3), ipfw nat is not compatible=
 with
>      the TCP segmentation offloading (TSO).  Thus, to reliably nat your=
 net-
>      work traffic, please disable TSO on your NICs using ifconfig(8).
>
> See ifconfig(8).  You need ifconfig nfe0 -tso4 and possibly? -vlanhwtso=
,=20
> with the same applying on your LAN-facing interface.

I don't say I fully understand this, but after executing this:

ifconfig nfe0 -tso4 -vlanhwtso

the upload speed went up to 1.8MB/sec instantly. :-)

Problem solved! Thank you!