Date:      26 Feb 1999 15:46:30 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Edwin de Graaf <graaf@iae.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linking a Perl module with aout libraries (FBSD31)

Edwin de Graaf <graaf@iae.nl> writes:

> I am trying to install the Perl DBD-odbc module on a FreeBSD
> 3.1-STABLE server. To do this I need to link with the Solid ODBC
> library which I only have in a.out format. Since the rest of the
> system is ELF I am not sure how to accomplish this.

> Will I need to compile Perl in a.out format? If so how do I do this?
> I have tried setting OBJFORMAT to aout, and running a make in
> src/gnu/usr.bin/perl, but that halts

OK, _that_ was an interesting question!  I managed to compile aout
perl, but _not_ the default one shipped with FreeBSD.  If you are
interested in this, do the following:

1.  Download ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/authors/id/GBARR/perl5.005_03-MAINT_TRIAL_5.tar.gz

In fact, any CPAN site will do.

2.  Unpack it.
3.  Download http://www.plab.ku.dk/tobez/FreeBSD-perl-aout/Makefile.SH
    and replace original Makefile.SH in the distribution.
4.  Download http://www.plab.ku.dk/tobez/FreeBSD-perl-aout/hints/freebsd.sh
    and replace original hints/freebsd.sh in the distribution.
5.  Cd to the distribution directory.
6.  $ OBJFORMAT=aout sh Configure -DAOUT -des

This will prepare to make _static_ libperl.a.  You are welcome to try
to build dynamically linked version yourself :-) though I think there
is actually no need to do this to accomplish what you described.

You may also wish to not run -des but rather run Configure in ``slow''
mode and change its defaults for installation paths.

7.  $ OBJFORMAT=aout make
8.  $ OBJFORMAT=aout make test

All tests should be successful.  At least they are on my 4.0-current
machine.

Also:

$ file perl
perl: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged dynamically linked executable not stripped
$ file libperl.a
libperl.a: current ar archive random library

9.  Go root
10. OBJFORMAT=aout make install    (UNTESTED)

Hope this helps.

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen