Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:36:12 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop time...advice sought

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 09:04:10PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> The ones I have seen are either Asus's or Asus's inside with another
> name on the outside.
>
> I would guess the questions boil down to chipset and PCMIA support.

I know I have ran into problems with pci interrupt routing or whatever this
is called. The 4.4 release notes state that this can be workarounded using
ISA interrupt routing. I think this is quite a common gotcha with new
laptops, and my Satellite 3000-100 gave me a hell of a ride with this :)

A strange thing was that it would always freeze during boot when
initializing the pcic/cardbus, even if I did like the release notes re-
commend and put set hw.pcic.intr_path="1" and set hw.pcic.irq="0" at the
boot loader. The laptop runs win2k and FreeBSD 4.4 now smoothly, I think I
solved these freeze-problems by completely installing windows first and
install every neccessary driver for everything the laptop had (Intel
chipset update, pcmcia bus, etc etc). I don't know exactly what made the
problem go away, but I am sure it has something to do with the drivers.

Besides that, there is nothing I could think of. It still is a bumpy ride
to get FreeBSD running on a laptop however.

regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos
	ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net