Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:53:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adduser chmod permissions

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:53:57 -0500, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com> wrote:
>And as for 'each user in their own group', well, that defeats some of the
>niceness of groups.  I have a group user, which all normal users belong
>to, and no others.  So if someone breaks in as 'daemon' or 'nobody', they
>can't get at a lot of stuff, whereas normal users have no problem.

Actually, IMHO, your approach defeats much of the usefulness of groups :-).

One of the niceties of the BSD model is that users can belong to
multiple groups.  The BSD security model is based around putting
different files & directories in different groups to control who can
access them.  Eg, all games are in group games and if a user wants to
use them, he has to be in the games group.  You could similarly
restrict access to (eg) X11, source code and development tools.

By giving each user his own group, you are allowing each user to
define what other users he will share his files with.  (Ideally, this
needs a tool which allows a non-root user to control the contents
of `her' entry in /etc/group).

There are a couple of gotcha's with using this approach on a big system:
- By default a user can only belong to 16 groups (defined by NGROUPS_MAX
  in sys/syslimits.h)
- NFS V2 (or at least some variants thereof) only allow 8 groups.
- /etc/group is limited to 1024 char lines and no more than 200 users
  per group.  Unfortunately, these particular arbitrary limits appear
  to be spread around in a variety of places (I've found 4 different
  places where the 200 users per group limit is defined, and there may
  be others.  I haven't even looked for the 1024-char line limit).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited