Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:00:56 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Subject:   Re: NetBSD vs. FreeBSD?

Vincent Poy writes:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, David Kelly wrote:
>
> > Brad Knowles writes:
> > > 	I found a site that has 7200 logic board upgrades available (see
> > > <http://www.micromac.com/products/lb_pm7500_upgrade.html>), and for
> > > about $600 (after the $200 rebate they send you when you send in your
> > > 7200 logic board), you can get a machine that should be minimally
> > > usable with NetBSD.
> >
> > Doesn't sound like a very good bargain when new Apple PowerMac G4's are
> > $1295 for a G4 400 MHz, 64MB, 20G, 56k modem, 10/100/1000 ethernet, 64
> > bit PCI slots, and DVD. Most Mac mailorder houses throw in extra memory
> > for free as Apple regulates the advertised sale price but not the free
> > add-ins. Ordered mine from http://www.outpost.com/ at 10PM one night,
> > it arrived 9:30AM with 128MB extra and free shipping.
> >
> > While FreeBSD isn't working on PowerPC port of BSD, Apple is. MacOS X.
> > And the open source BSD core of MacOS X is Darwin, same price as
> > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Am still thinking about how I'm going to slice up my 20G HD for MacOS
> > 9, X, and Darwin. Meanwhile "Toy Story" 1 and 2 DVD's are impressive on
> > a G4 with 21" monitor at 1280x1024.
>
> 	Interesting, which machine did you get exactly?  It would be great
> if MacOS X can run binaries that can run under the x86 FreeBSD platform...

Top right corner of this where it says, "Power Mac G4 From $1299".
That's what I got. The bottom of the line (400MHz vs 500MHz) single CPU
model. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

But as I said above, I bought from Outpost.com. Doesn't look like their
web server will generate a URL I can bookmark or email. But its fairly
easy to navigate. They are currently showing backorder of 1 to 2 weeks.

At the same time I backordered a G3 PowerBook 500MHz, 256MB, $2200.
Decided that was at least comparable to anything Intel/AMD. But had the
double whammy of the Apple GUI, and the forthcoming power of Unix/BSD.
Couldn't resist any longer.

The PowerBook doesn't have PCMCIA. But like the G4 tower it has
Firewire and an Airport slot. Only reason I would have wanted PCMCIA
was for the compact flash card used in my Kodak DC-290. Then again its
not really an issue because the USB interface has been satisfactory.

Doubt MacOS X will ever run x86 FreeBSD binaries. VirtualPC is said to
be able to run FreeBSD now on any PowerMac under recent MacOS's.
Haven't tried. Was told patches were needed and downloadable from the
support site for my VirtualPC 3.0. Got the 4.0 update with the G4.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net