Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:03:08 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>
Cc:        Paul <paul@epicsol.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron hard disk

Tuc wrote:
>>hi,
>>
>>i was wondering if anyone who has a dell inspiron has noticed that the disk
>>likes to spin-up a lot.  it barely stays quiet for 3 minutes before it screams
>>back into action (even if the system is totally idle).  i recall reading about
>>a solution for linux that stopped it spinning up so much. does anyone know of
>>such a solution for freebsd 4.x?
>>
>>i'm not subscribed to the list, i'd be greatful if you'd cc me, but i'll be
>>checking the archives anyway. :>
>>
> 	Maybe that explains why my 8200 blew a disk in 9 months.
>
> 	Both drives do more of a "ker chunk" sound every 30 seconds or so.
> Annoying enough that I close the door to my bedroom when its on in the next
> room.
>
> 	Sure your not swapping, logging, etc?

Hmm, I've got one running under Windows.  I always assumed it was
Windows inability to keep it's greasy mitts off of any HD for more than
30 seconds that never let the drives spin down.  The idea that it can be
fixed in Linux intrigues me (unless it's a patch to the VM subsystem).

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer